Faster Slow Cooking
If you really need the meal to be done at the minimum cooking time specified in a recipe, or sooner, try any of these handy tricks:
- Remember the temperature of the food entering the pot determines overall cooking time.
- Heat liquids before adding them to cooker.
- Use only thawed meats. Sear them to warm them up.
- Thaw and warm vegetables slightly by searing or steaming them until they are crisp-tender.
- Cover the food contents or the pot with a layer of aluminum foil and then top with the lid. The foil will deflect heat back down into the food.
- Start the cooker on HIGH while you prepare for work, church, family life, etc. Then, before heading out the door, turn the gauge to LOW to complete the cooking per recipe instructions.
* DVO welcomes your kitchen hints and cooking or nutrition questions! Email us
and we'll post your hints and Q/A's in upcoming newsletters! *