Download this recipe.
1 cup butter or stick margarine
4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
Cream cheese Filling (see recipe below)
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts
1. Heat oven to 350°. Grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13 X 9 X 2 inches, with shortening.
2. Melt butter and chocolate in 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
3. Make Cream Cheese Filling; set aside.
4. Beat chocolate mixture, sugar, vanilla and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in flour and salt on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat on medium speed 1 minute. Stir in nuts. Spread half of the batter (about 2 1/2 cups) in pan. Spread filling over batter. Drop remaining batter in mounds randomly over filling. Carefully spread to cover cream cheese layer.
5. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. For brownies, cut into 8 rows by 6 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.
Cream Cheese Filling
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 large egg
Beat all ingredients until smooth.
From "Betty Crocker's Complete Cookbook, Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today, 9th Edition." Text Copyright 2000 General Mills, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Contribute to the Cook'n Club!
DVO would love to publish your article, prose, photography and art as well as your cooking, kitchen and nutrition tips, tricks and secrets. Visit the Newsletter Submission / Win Win for All section in our Forum for more information and details.