Cook'n Club Home
Subscribe Now!

Cook'n Forum
HomeCook'n Archive

I have spent the last 2 hours reading your newsletter and wonderful recipes. I have already printed a whole bunch I want to try. I love them because they are using ingredients one has on hand. I love that and just wanted you to know how much we appreciate all your hard work in putting together this newsletter. Thank you very much.


Priority Support

       Volume I - August 15, 2009

No More Blood Sugar Blues
“Legal” Peach Recipes!

by Alice Osborne & Patty Liston

Those with blood sugar issues, take heart. Here are a couple wonderful fresh peach breakfast recipes we found “down under”, Australia, we mean. See if you don’t just love these!

Oven Baked French Toast with Peaches
Serves 2
Courtesy of Australian Better Homes & Gardens Diabetic Living

3 slices raisin bread
2 eggs
2 tablespoons skim milk (or buttermilk)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 C vanilla yogurt (low fat)
6 fresh peach slices
1 tablespoon sliced almonds (toasted)

Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Cut each slice of raisin bread in half to form 2 triangles out of each slice. Whisk the eggs, skim milk (or buttermilk) and cinnamon in a shallow dish. Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture, allowing any excess to drip off.
Put each piece on the tray and then bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until egg mixture has turned golden brown. Divide the toast between two plates. Spoon the yoghurt over, top with peach slices and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Serve straight away.

Toasting Almonds - spread the almonds over a baking tray and cook stirring once for 5 - 6 minutes in an oven preheated to 160C (fan forced) until lightly golden.

Alternative 1 - sourdough bread for the raisin bread.

Alternative 2 - use canned apricots instead of the peaches.

Alternative 3 - replace the vanilla yogurt with a flavor of your choice (peach is nice).

Nutritional Information: Calories 231; calories from fat 86 (37%); amount per serving %DV: total fat 9.7 g (14%); saturated fat 3.0 g (15%); monosaturated fat 4.1 g; polyunsaturated fat 1.3 g; trans fat 0.0 g; cholesterol 217 mg (72%); sodium 251 mg (10%); potassium 274 mg (7%); total carbs 24.5 g (8%); dietary fiber 2.2 g (8%); sugars 4.8 g; protein 12.1 g (24%)

  Download this recipe.

Bircher Peach Muesli
Serves 2
Courtesy Australian Diabetic Living Magazine

¾ C rolled oats
1 C skim milk
¾ C low-fat yogurt (whisked till smooth)
2 fresh peaches, washed, pitted, chopped
2 tsp honey
1 Tbsp sliver almonds (toasted)

Into medium-sized bowl put the oats; add the milk and yogurt and stir to combine. Cover and place in the fridge overnight. In the morning stir in half the peaches and 1 teaspoon of honey. Divide between two serving bowls, top each with equal amounts of remaining peaches, the toasted almonds slivers and drizzle with honey.

Note - to toast almonds , spread over a baking tray and place in an oven preheated to 300° oven for 6 to 7 minutes or until golden. Watch closely.

Nutritional Information: Serving size, 1 ½ C; calories 276; calories from fat 41 (15%); Total fat 4.6 g (7%); saturated fat 1.0 g (5%); monosaturated fat 2.0 g; polyunsaturated fat 1.2 g; trans fat 0 g; cholesterol 3mg (1%); sodium 83 mg (3%); potassium 474 mg (13%); total carbs 49.0 g (16%); dietary fiber 4.9 g (19%); sugars 19.4 g; protein 12.1 g (24%).

  Download this recipe.

(If YOU have a smart idea, won't you share it? Life is so much easier and we accomplish so much more when we pool our resources. And after all, we're all in this together. So email or with YOUR Smart Ideas!)

Contribute to the Cook'n Club!
DVO would love to publish your article, prose, photography and art as well as your cooking, kitchen and nutrition tips, tricks and secrets. Visit the Newsletter Submission / Win Win for All section in our Forum for more information and details.

Terms & Conditions | Webmaster | Privacy Policy | Unsubscribe

© 2007 DVO Enterprises, Inc. All rights reserved.
Sales: 1-888-462-6656