Download this recipe.
Ingredients - Serves 6:
- 1/2 head Green Cabbage, thinly sliced bullet
- 1/2 head Red Cabbage, thinly sliced bullet
- 1 small Carrot, ends discarded, very thinly sliced. Do not use too much carrot!
- 3 medium center ribs of Celery Heart, ends and leaves discarded, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh Buttermilk
- 2 oz. Sour Cream
- 2 oz. Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons strained Pickle Juice
- 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Celery Seed, crushed
- 2 Tablespoons Chives, chopped
- Salt, seasoning to taste and for wilting the shredded cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground Black Pepper
Slice the cabbage thinly (shave).
In a large pot add 4 Tablespoons of salt to the sliced cabbage. Cover with water and mix in the salt thoroughly. Allow cabbage to soak for 4 hours. Stir the salted cabbage occasionally. Drain cabbage. Rinse thoroughly and dry.
In a separate bowl, combine all of the ingredients except cabbage, celery and carrot. Whisk briskly to combine evenly. Add the cabbage, celery and the carrot. Toss the cabbage, celery and carrot with the dressing. Mix very thoroughly. Allow to sit on counter top covered tightly for 1 hour. Stir to re-mix all ingredients completely.
Re-cover tightly and refrigerate until served.
Contribute to the Cook'n Club!
DVO would love to publish your article, prose, photography and art as well as your cooking, kitchen and nutrition tips, tricks and secrets. Visit the Newsletter Submission / Win Win for All section in our Forum for more information and details.