Download this recipe.
2 cups Italian tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce
2 small unpeeled eggplant (about 1 pound each)
1 large egg
2 tablespoons water
2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
1. Make Italian Tomato Sauce.
2. Heat oven to 350°.
3. Cut eggplants into 1/4-inch slices. Mix egg and water. Mix bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip eggplant into egg mixture, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
4. Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook half of the eggplant at a time in oil about 5 minutes, turning once, until light brown; drain. Repeat with remaining eggplant, adding 1 or 2 tablespoons oil if necessary.
5. Place half of the eggplant in ungreased rectangular baking dish, 11 x 7 x 1 1/2 inches, overlapping slices slightly. Spoon half of the sauce over eggplant. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat with remaining eggplant, sauce and cheese.
6. Bake uncovered about 25 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is light brown.
From "Betty Crocker's Complete Cookbook, Everything You Need to Know to Cook Today, 9th Edition." Text Copyright 2000 General Mills, Inc. Used with permission of the publisher, Wiley Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Contribute to the Cook'n Club!
DVO would love to publish your article, prose, photography and art as well as your cooking, kitchen and nutrition tips, tricks and secrets. Visit the Newsletter Submission / Win Win for All section in our Forum for more information and details.