1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/2 teaspoons
1 teaspoon honey (needed for yeast action)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (110 to 115 degrees)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1. Add yeast and honey to warm water in a medium-size bowl; let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. Combine the flours and salt in a large mixing bowl. Make a well; pour yeast mixture into center and stir until dough can be gathered into a ball. Knead dough floured board until smooth.
3. Place dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a damp towel and place in a dry, draft-free place until dough has doubled, 1 to 2 hours.
4. Punch down dough; place on lightly floured board. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape into circles and place on nonstick baking sheets. Allow to rest, covered with damp towel for 30 minutes.
5. On lightly floured surface, roll out each piece of dough to a circle, about 5-inches in diameter. Place on baking sheets; let stand about 30 minutes.
6. Bake on middle rack of preheated 500*F (250*C) oven for 5 minutes. Remove pitas from baking sheets and let cool on rack. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
7. To serve, reheat wrapped in aluminum foil at 350*F (180*C) for 10 minutes.
Help on downloading recipes
sure to check the Cook'n Recipe Archive
for more recipes.
Join the Cook'n Club!
An unbeatable value with exclusive benefits for members only.
Enjoy articles like this and many other benefits when you join the Cook'n Club. Click here to find out more.
© 2007 DVO Enterprises, Inc.