Total Calories: 115
1. Wash shrimp. Remove legs, leaving shells intact then devein (see HOW-TO, _Shrimp: To buy, store, devein or shell).
2. Mince scallion stalk and ginger root then combine with soy sauce, sherry and salt.
3. Heat oil. Add shrimp and stir-fry until pinkish (1 to 2 minutes). Add sugar stir-fry 1/2 minute more.
4. Add scallion-soy mixture and stir-fry another 2 minutes. Serve hot or cold.
NOTE: These shrimp, served cold, are excellent as appetizers, buffet dishes or picnic snacks.
* For the scallion-soy mixture prepared in step 2 and added in step 4, substitute any of the following:
__A: 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons sherry, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Then at the end of step 3 add 2 scallion stalks and 1 garlic clove, both minced stir-fry a few times. Add the substitute mixture as in step 4.
__B: 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons sherry, 2 slices fresh ginger root, minced, and 1/2 tablespoon vinegar. Add as in step 4 and heat quickly, stirring. Then cook, covered, over medium heat until shrimp are done (2 to 3 minutes).
__C: 2 teaspoons sugar, 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 1 scallion stalk. In step 3, add to the hot oil 1 garlic clove and 1 slice fresh ginger root, both crushed. (Stir-fry a few times before adding shrimp.) For the sugar in step 3, substitute 1 tablespoon sherry. Pick up step 4.
__D: 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoons stock and 1/4 cup scallions, cut in 1/2-inch sections. In step 3, add to the hot oil 1/2 teaspoon salt, before adding shrimp. Pick up step 4.
__E: 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, I tablespoon vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon sugar. At the end of step 3, add 6 scallion stalks, cut in 1-inch sections and 1 slice fresh ginger root, minced. Stir-fry a few times then pick up step 4.
The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook. ©1994 by Gloria Bley Miller.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.