Total Calories: 328
1. Quarter scallops or cut in 1/4-inch slices if large cut in half if small.
2. Cut bamboo shoots first in 1/4-inch slices, then in 1/2-inch sections. Slice celery in 1/4-inch sections. Slice dried onions. Stem snow peas.
3. Blend cornstarch, soy sauce and cold water to a paste.
4. Heat oil. Add salt, then scallops, and stir-fry to coat with oil (about 1/2 minute). Add vegetables and stir-fry about 2 minutes more.
5. Add stock and sugar and heat quickly. Then cook, stirring, over medium heat, until vegetables are done (2 to 3 minutes).
6. Stir in cornstarch paste to thicken. Serve at once.
* For the vegetables, substitute 1 pound string beans, cut in 1/2-inch lengths and parboiled and 2 tomatoes, peeled and cubed. Add the beans in step 4, the tomatoes after step 5.
* Or substitute 1/2 cup water chestnuts, 1/2 cup white onions and 1/2 cup celery, all sliced. Add in step 4. Then, after step 5, add 1/2 cup canned pineapple chunks.
* In step 1, dredge the scallops lightly with flour.
* In step 3, add a few drops of sesame oil to the cornstarch paste.
* In step 4, add to the hot oil 2 slices fresh ginger root and 1 garlic clove, both minced, and stir-fry to brown lightly. Then stir-fry scallops. Sprinkle with the salt and a dash of pepper before adding the vegetables.
The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook. ©1994 by Gloria Bley Miller.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.