Total Calories: 4
1. Wash eggplant. Score its skin with a few lengthwise slashes about V2-inch deep. Place on a heatproof dish.
2. Steam until done (15 to 20 minutes). See HOW-TO, _Steaming.
3. Let cool slightly then strip off skin and tear eggplant lengthwise in shreds.
4. Add soy sauce, salt and peanut oil and blend in. Serve hot or cold.
NOTE: Tearing the cooked eggplant gives it a more interesting texture than chopping or mincing does.
* For the peanut oil, substitute sesame oil.
* In step 4, also add 1 or 2 slices fresh ginger root and 1/2 clove garlic, both minced.
* After step 4, arrange eggplant shreds on a serving dish radiating out like flower petals. Leave a space in the center about 3 inches in diameter and fill this with stirred or scrambled eggs, cooked and then broken in small pieces. (For the egg mixture, use 2 eggs, beaten 2 scallion stalks, minced 2 teaspoons soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon sugar.)
The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook. ©1994 by Gloria Bley Miller.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.