Total Calories: 19
1. Place chicken in a pan with cold water to cover. Cut scallion in 1-inch sections and slice ginger root add to pan. Bring to a boil then simmer, covered, about 1 hour. Drain, reserving liquid for stock.
2. Let bird cool then bone and (leaving skin on) cube chicken, or cut in 1- by 2-inch strips.
3. Combine cornstarch, sherry and soy sauce. Add to chicken and toss gently. Let stand 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Meanwhile heat oil.
4. Add chicken, several pieces at a time, and deep-fry until crisp and golden (about 1 minute). Drain on paper toweling.
NOTE: Depending on the size and toughness of the bird, simmering time can vary from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. The chicken should be cooked until just about done.
* In step 1, add 1 tablespoon sherry and 1 tablespoon soy sauce to water.
* In step 2, disjoint chicken. Drain and dry well. Brush with 1/2 cup soy sauce and deep-fry (omit step 3). Chop in bite-size pieces and serve.
* In step 3, substitute a batter of 3 tablespoons flour 1 egg, beaten 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 to 2 tablespoons stock.
The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook. ©1994 by Gloria Bley Miller.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.