Total Calories: 147
1. Shell, devein and butterfly shrimp, leaving the tail segments intact. Cut bacon strips in 1/2-inch sections. Slice onion thin. Crush garlic.
2. Beat eggs. Then add flour and beat with a wire whisk until batter thickens. (It should not be runny: if it is, add more flour.) Dip bacon in batter, 1 section at a time, and place on the flattened surface of each shrimp.
3. In one cup, combine catsup, Worcestershire Sauce, sugar, pepper and water. In another cup, blend cornstarch and remaining cold water to a paste.
4. Heat oil. Add shrimp, bacon-side down, and pan-fry 2 minutes over medium heat. Cover and cook another 1/2 minute. Turn shrimp over and pan-fry 2 minutes more. Remove and drain shrimp on paper toweling.
5. Add onion slices and stir-fry until softened and translucent then drain. Arrange on a serving dish with shrimp on top. Keep warm.
6. Heat remaining oil. Add salt and crushed garlic stir-fry to brown lightly. Add catsup mixture and bring to a boil, stirring.
7. Then stir in cornstarch paste to thicken. Spoon sauce over shrimp and serve at once.
* In step 2, substitute for the batter, a mixture of 2 egg whites, 4 tablespoons flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
* In step 2, top each shrimp with a strip of smoked ham. (Slice ham thin, cut in 1- by 2-inch strips, and dip in batter to make it adhere.) Then top with a bacon section as above.
* In step 4, for the catsup mixture, substitute 1/2 cup catsup and 1 cup stock.
* In step 4, add to the cornstarch paste 1 teaspoon soy sauce and a dash of pepper.
The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook. ©1994 by Gloria Bley Miller.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.