Total Calories: 247
1. Soak dried mushrooms.
2. Clean crabs and, with a cleaver, chop each in 4 pieces.
3. Mince garlic and ginger root then combine with soy sauce, sherry, water and a few drops of sesame oil. Add to crab sections and let stand 30 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain, reserving marinade.
4. Meanwhile shred bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, snow peas, Chinese cabbage stems and soaked mushrooms. Crush remaining garlic. Cut lettuce in strips.
5. Beat eggs lightly then combine with flour and beat to a smooth batter. Add salt and pepper beat 1 minute more. Dip crab sections in batter to coat.
6. Heat oil for deep-frying. Add crab sections, a few at a time, and deep-fry until golden. Drain on paper toweling. Keep warm.
7. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add remaining salt, then crushed garlic stir-fry a few times. Add shredded vegetables (but not lettuce) and stir-fry 2 minutes.
8. Add crab marinade and stir-fry 2 minutes more. Stir in stock and heat quickly. Then simmer, covered, over medium heat, another 2 minutes.
9. Meanwhile blend cornstarch and sugar to a paste with remaining soy sauce and water. Then stir in to thicken.
10. Arrange crabs on shredded lettuce. Pour sauce over and serve, either with lemon slices or a vinegar dip (see Seasonings and Sauces, All-Purpose Seafood Dip).
The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook. ©1994 by Gloria Bley Miller.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.