Total Calories: 322
1. Shell and devein shrimp. Slice or dice vegetables. Cut scallion in 1/2-inch sections. Mince ginger root. Crush garlic.
2. Blend cornstarch, soy sauce and sherry to a paste.
3. Heat oil. Add salt, then scallion and ginger root stir-fry a few times. Add shrimp and stir-fry until pink (about 3 minutes). Remove ingredients from pan.
4. Heat remaining oil. Add remaining salt, then garlic, and stir-fry a few times. Add vegetables stir-fry to coat with oil.
5. Stir in stock and heat quickly. Then cook, covered, over medium heat, until nearly done.
6. Return shrimp, stir-frying to reheat and blend flavors (about 1 minute more).
7. Stir in cornstarch paste to thicken. Serve at once.
NOTE: Any vegetable can be used. (See Vegetable Dishes chapter.) For suggested combinations, see Suggested Vegetable Combinations for Basic Stir-Fried Shrimp I and II.
* In step 1, sprinkle the shrimp with 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry and let stand 5 minutes, turning several times.
* For the cornstarch paste in step 2, substitute any of the following and add in step 7:
__A: 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 3 tablespoons cold water, 2 teaspoons soy sauce
__B: 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon soy sauce and 3 tablespoons cold stock
__C: 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon oyster sauce, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons cold water and 2 slices fresh ginger root, minced
__D: 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 2 teaspoons sherry, 3 tablespoons stock and 1 or 2 slices fresh ginger root, minced.
* After adding the shrimp in step 3, stir-fry only 1/2 minute, then sprinkle with 1 more tablespoon sherry and stir-fry until pink.
The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook. ©1994 by Gloria Bley Miller.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.