Total Calories: 331
1. Shell and devein shrimp. Combine cornstarch, sherry and salt add to shrimp and toss to coat.
2. Slice or dice vegetables. Crush garlic. Mince ginger root. Blend remaining cornstarch and cold water to a paste.
3. Heat oil. Brown garlic lightly. Add shrimp and stir-fry until pink (2 to 3 minutes). Remove from pan.
4. Heat remaining oil. Add ginger root stir-fry a few times. Then add vegetables and stir-fry briefly to coat with oil.
5. Stir in and heat stock quickly. Then cook, covered, over medium heat, until nearly done.
6. Return shrimp, stir-frying to reheat. Then stir in cornstarch paste to thicken. Serve at once.
NOTE: Any vegetable can be used. (See Vegetable Dishes chapter.) For suggested combinations, see Suggested Vegetable Combinations for Basic Stir-Fried Shrimp I and II.
* In step 1, add to the cornstarch mixture any or all of the following:
1 teaspoon sugar, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1 scallion stalk and 2 slices fresh ginger root, both minced (omit ginger in step 4)
* In step 1, toss the shrimp instead in any of the follow combinations:
__A: 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon sherry and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Then in step 3, after shrimp turn pink, quickly stir in to blend 2 tablespoons soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sugar. Pick up steps 4 to 6.
__B: 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 teaspoons sherry and 1 egg white. After shrimp turn pink in step 3, quickly stir in to blend 1 more tablespoon sherry, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pick up steps 4 to 6.
__C: 1 tablespoon sherry, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper. At the end of step 4, sprinkle the vegetables with 2 more teaspoons sherry. Pick up steps 4 to 6.
__D: 1 tablespoon sherry, 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch and 1/2 teaspoon salt. When returning shrimp in step 6, add 1/2 teaspoon sugar and a pinch of salt. Then stir in cornstarch paste to thicken.
The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook. ©1994 by Gloria Bley Miller.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.