Total Calories: 186
1. Shell and devein shrimp, leaving tail segments intact.
2. Prepare any of the batters (see Deep-Fried Shrimp Batter:). Then holding each shrimp by the tail, dip in batter to coat.
3. Meanwhile heat oil. Add shrimp one by one (if dropped in all at once, they'll form a solid mass), or place in a wire basket and lower into oil.
4. Reduce heat to medium and deep-fry until shrimp float and are golden on both sides. (Depending on size, this will take 3 to 5 minutes.) Drain on paper toweling.
5. Serve hot, garnished with lettuce strips and Chinese parsley, and accompanied by plum sauce, hot mustard, catsup or a pepper-salt mix. (For additional dips, see Seasonings and Sauces, Deep-Fried Dip...) Or serve with a sweet-and-pungent sauce (see Seasonings and Sauces, Sweet-and-Pungent Sauce...).
NOTE: If the heat of the oil is not reduced right after the shrimp are added, they will burn on the outside and be raw inside.
* In step 1, strip off legs and devein, but leave the shells intact or else butterfly the shrimp. (See HOW-TO, _Shrimp: To butterfly.)
* After step 1, marinate the shrimp in a mixture of 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons sherry, 1 teaspoon ginger root, minced and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain, discarding marinade. Then coat with batter as in step 2, or dredge lightly in flour.
* In the above variation, add to the marinade any or all of the following: 1 scallion, minced 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder a few drops of sesame oil.
The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook. ©1994 by Gloria Bley Miller.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.