Total Calories: 836
Preparation Time: 15 to20 minutes
Slow Cooker Cooking Time: 4 1/2 to 5 hours on high or 9 to 10 hours on low
Last-Minute Cooking Time: none
1. In a plastic bag, mix flour, paprika, garlic salt and pepper.
2. Trim excess fat from meat. Toss meat in flour mixture, a few pieces at a time, and shake until meat is well coated. Reserve remaining flour mixture.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown meat in shortening. Transfer meat to a slow cooker. Top with carrots, onions, celery and green pepper. Do Not Stir.
4. Pour off excess drippings from skillet. Stirring over medium heat, brown remaining flour mixture. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in water, tomato paste, bouillon granules, basil and thyme until smooth and thickened, scraping to loosen browned bits from bottom of skillet. Pour over meat and vegetables.
5. Cover and cook on high for 4 1/2 to 5 hours or on low for 9 to 10 hours or until meat and vegetables are very tender.
Serve with biscuits or corn bread.
* Or use 3 pounds lean beef oxtails, cut in 1 1/2- to 2-inch pieces.
"I must say this is the best recipe software I have ever owned."
"Your DVO cookbook software saves me time and money!"
"I saw lots of recipe software for PC computers but I was having a hard time finding really good mac recipe software. I'm so glad I discovered Cook'n! It's so nice to have all my recipes in a computer recipe organizer. Cook'n has saved me so much time with meal planning and the recipe nutrition calculator is amazing!!!
My favorite is the Cook'n Recipe App.