INSIDE OUT CARAMEL APPLE SLICES
Looking for something a little less sticky than last year's apple treat?
Try these Caramel Apple Slices, they will turn your world inside out!
|3 wholes||large granny smith apples s (or any apple of your choice)|
|1 whole||large lemon|
|2 cups||caramel squares, unwrapped|
|2 tablespoons||corn syrup|
|1/4 cup||chopped pecans (optional)|
|chocolate sauce (optional)|
• Cut your apples in half and use a melon baller to scoop out the insides, leaving the walls intact at about 1/2 to 1/4 inch thickness.
• Squeeze the juice from the lemon onto the apples and allow to set. (This will keep them from turning brown right away.)
• To make the caramel sauce, melt the caramel squares in a sauce pan over low heat, with the corn syrup. Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes.
• Using a paper towel, wipe your apples down, removing the lemon juice as much as possible. (Important: if the inside of your apple is too wet, the caramel won’t stick.)
• Pour the caramel into the hollowed out apples until just below the top. Sprinkle with pecans (if you desire). Be sure to stray away from nuts if allergies are of concern!!
• Chill in the refrigerator until the caramel has set, about 20 minutes. **Note: We put ours in the refrigerator the first time and our caramel got too hard. We recommend just leaving the apples out on the counter until the caramel has cooled. If you are in a hurry, use the fridge but only for about 5 minutes. **
• Cut into slices and drizzle with chocolate sauce, if desired.
EAT + ENJOY!
Monthly Newsletter Contributor since 2014
Email the author! firstname.lastname@example.org